High-visibility clothing is an essential part of personal protection equipment to keep workers safe. Wearing high-visibility allows workers to be seen better by their co-workers helping to prevent injuries in the workplace. It is important that workers wear high-visibility clothes not only to protect themselves but also to protect those around them.
High-visibility clothing helps you to stand out. It is good to wear it while operating machinery or doing construction work. High visibility clothing aims to increase workers' visibility, hopefully preventing accidents on the work site. When beginning on a job site, it is essential to check with supervisors whether high-visibility apparel is to be worn.
Generally, it is recommended that workers wear high visibility clothing during nighttime hours. The primary benefit of wearing high visibility clothing in dark areas is that it will make workers easier to see, preventing accidents. High-visibility apparel should be worn whenever you are in a dark area or near moving vehicles. There have been many devastating accidents caused by construction workers not being visible at nighttime because of their lack of high-visibility apparel. When choosing an outfit to wear, high-visibility clothing should be bright and made from light and durable materials. The clothing should also be reflective, especially on the back, so it is easier for pedestrians to see you in a dark area.
There are multiple styles of high-visitation clothing on the market today. A popular kind is safety jackets with reflective stickers on the sleeves and back. There are also hard hats and visors that have reflective materials on their interior for added visibility in a dark area. There are multiple styles of high-visibility clothing on the market today. Make sure you are comfortable with your attire since you will wear it for long hours. Some people may think that wearing high-visibility apparel is an unnecessary expense, but it can save your life if you're working on a construction site in dangerous conditions, such as during dark or rainy nights.
Types of High-Visibility Clothing in the Construction Industry
In the construction industry, there are many different types of clothing that have an effect on safety. So, they need to be clear and have high visibility to increase safety and reduce risks. If you wear high-visibility clothing to work, you're contributing to the safety of your coworkers and pedestrians. However, it's essential to ensure that the clothes you choose are appropriate for your workplace and other workers in your area. Here is a list of the types of high-visibility clothing in the construction industry and what they're typically used for.
- High Visibility Hats – To be easily seen by others, some hats have reflective materials that allow both day and night visibility. They cover a person's head, face, and neck and are sometimes used in construction zones to keep the wearer safe while operating heavy machinery.
- High Visibility Jackets – This type of clothing gives the user a wide range of motion while keeping them protected against the elements. In construction zones, they're often used when workers carry out tasks that require a lot of physical effort.
- High Visibility Vests – Vests have an open front and can be used in almost any situation where visibility is an issue. They're sometimes worn by road workers during nighttime construction and on building sites. They typically have adjustable waistbands, pockets, and shoulder straps for added practicality.
- High Visibility Bib Overalls – Overalls are designed for workers carrying out tasks that require maximum protection. They're excellent for staying clean and dry in messy work environments and creating a barrier between the worker's body and clothing.
A construction worker’s primary goal is always safety. High-visibility clothing is very important for several reasons and factors. First, wearing high-visibility clothing will make it clear to everybody else that there is a worker on the site. High-visibility clothing will also indicate the type of worker near you at all times so they can react quickly in case there are any dangers. It is essential the workers follow OSHA regulations to ensure safety on the work site.
The Importance of High-Visibility Clothing in the Construction Industry
High visibility clothing helps maintain worker safety and health. In many areas, a construction job site can be an obstacle course of different liquids and airborne particles arising from construction activities, including rain, snow, dirt, grime, and abrasive particles. With high-visibility clothing, workers will feel more comfortable on the job site. A construction site must be considered a dangerous environment, and proper protective clothing should be worn at all times.
High visibility vests, jackets, shirts, and pants are crucial in the construction industry, where workers are subject to machinery or hazards that can cause serious injuries or death.
These garments help protect workers from:
- Environmental hazards like chemicals, mechanical parts of machinery, and debris.
- Workplace threats such as falling objects or hazardous materials.
- Ambulance vehicle operations. High visibility clothing is also essential to prevent vehicles from being hit by construction equipment so that workers' injuries do not worsen. According to the International Institute of Risk Assessment (IIRA), accidents are much less likely to occur if a construction worker uses high-visibility protective clothing during an operation. This is because it reflects the light and hides any potential hazards, making it almost impossible for others to see them or become aware of their existence in time.
Construction Work Is Dangerous, High-Visibility Clothing Can Help
The construction industry can be a dangerous place to work. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), 3,690 fatalities in the construction industry in 2012 alone. Even with all the safety programs in place, workers in this field still face significant risks each day they go to work. One way to help minimize these risks is through high-visibility clothing.
This clothing helps prevent accidents on job sites by:
- Making it easier for drivers and pedestrians to see construction workers.
- Reducing worker injuries by providing extra protection.
- Improving the safety of equipment operators and emergency personnel by making it easier to see them in an emergency.
According to the International Institute of Risk Assessment (IIRA), accidents are much less likely to occur if a construction worker uses high-visibility protective clothing during an operation. While workers should always wear high-visibility clothing, the most critical time to wear these garments is during the night.
The Importance of Wearing High-Visibility Colors
One of the most essential things construction workers should know about high visibility clothing is what colors have been rated to help improve their visibility.
The following colors are rated by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO):
- Green or yellow
- Orange is one of the most visible colors to drivers. It is great for motionless workers who must be seen for long, like flaggers or construction workers with traffic control duties. However, it should not be used as an everyday color because it can be distracting.
- White and silver are great for bright or overcast conditions because these colors help reflect light making them much easier to see from a distance. It's also essential that workers in hard hats wear white helmets when performing activities outside where they could get hit by direct sunlight.
Not All High Visibility Apparel Is Created Equal
Some types of high-visibility clothing are much better than others. The International Institute of Risk Assessment (IIRA) provides safety recommendations for the different types of high visibility vests, jackets, shirts, and pants available today. They explain that while all work vehicles will have similar performance requirements, they're not all made equal.
Designing a garment that's able to meet the safety goals of protecting workers and drivers means that it must have certain features:
- Construction work can be hard on uniforms. A strong material that can withstand long days at construction sites is called for. It should also tolerate damage from sharp objects, falling objects, and chemicals.
- The garment needs to stay securely, even when worn for extended periods. While it's essential to keep the wearer comfortable, it's more critical to protect them from any possible threat or accident on the job site and reduce their chance of injury significantly if one should occur.
- High visibility clothing is quite heavy and can be a safety hazard if it creates too much resistance to movement when worn. The fabric should also be comfortable to wear.
Construction workers should always wear high-visibility clothing whenever they're working. These articles of clothing can help prevent accidents from occurring so that workers don't have to suffer from any injuries or loss of life at work. It's essential to know the OSHA requirements for wearing high-visibility clothing. If you are on a job site with no regulations, you should wear high-visibility apparel because it can potentially save your life. By wearing high-visibility clothing, you will be seen better, which will make you safer on the construction site.